Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Week 4 Part 2, What I Learned.

 Let me start with why I did this to begin with.  One of my best clients Keri was in a funk.  I could see for weeks that she wasn't her usual bad-ass self.  She seemed to lack motivation.  It was challenging for me to get her mojo back.  Keri is one of my stars.  She excels at the 2 things that I do best, which is boxing and kettlebells.  Both require skill.  She is the type of client that if she is in the gym when I'm with someone who is struggling with their boxing or kettlebell technique, I can grab her and say "Keri, demonstrate the *blank,* and I can count on it being perfect.  Also, Keri wants to be personal trainer.  She's had a few trainers.  So, I know that I'm not the only influence.  But, I'm proud nonetheless.  She will be an excellent trainer.  So anyway Keri's special, and I wanted to light a fire under her ass.


  Every year my gym (Golds) does a body transformation challenge in January.  Last year 2 of my clients won their bracket.  I asked Keri if a transformation contest would motivate her.  She said it would.  The challenge wouldn't be for another 8 weeks, so she made up her own, "St. Louis 6-Week Health Challenge."  Since it was my idea, I wanted to show support and do it.  Also, I hoped to set a good example.


Ok, so what did I learn?  That I'm awesome.  Just kidding. 


 I learned the value of putting yourself out there.  Since I planned to log my workouts and food, I couldn't slack.  For instance, before I ate anything off diet I would say


         "If I eat this, I have to log it.  I have to figure out how to log '  
       1 toasted ravioli' on my app.  My clients will see it."  


Also, I put my picture out there.  When I wanted to have a small piece of pizza I would say


    "I have a weigh in tuesday.  I have after pics in 2 weeks.  Not only must I make my goal, I have to   
     exceed it.  I'm the TRAINER.  F* me..." 


So, I had no choice (as I saw it) but to succeed.  In my fitness career I have always been accountable to myself.  It's always been enough.  Being accountable to others takes it up a notch.  It confirmed my belief that there really is no excuse to not succeed.  Here's the other thing;  I workout everyday, my job is very physical, and I eat clean anyway.  I can easily eat a single ravioli, or a bite of this or a hunk of that everyday and burn it off.  To do so would be to use my lifestyle as an excuse to indulge.  No good.  Sets a bad example.  So I didn't.


Other than upping my fitness, the biggest benefit has been reactivating this blog.  It turns out that a few (seriously, a FEW) people are reading it.  That has been rewarding.  It motivates me to keep writing.  It's good to let your brain poop, I think.  Anyway, It's making me a better trainer.


Next post will be an update of my workouts and nutrition.

No comments:

Post a Comment